The Sustainable Opportunities for Youth Leadership Summer Internship prepares Vancouver secondary students to be leaders in their schools and communities through hands-on experiences developing school gardens and supporting community organizations that advance our local food system. SOYL values diversity in all forms (sexual-orientation, gender, ethnicity, religion, ability, and socio-economic status) and is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive community. The program is a fantastic opportunity for students to experience the rewards of challenging, meaningful work, meet other youth from around Vancouver who care about the Earth and love food, gain support from community mentors to continue growing as leaders!
In more detail, students will….
- build school gardens and compost systems
- grow and harvest food crops
- take home free food!
- develop cooking and food preservation skills
- run a farmers market and donate produce to local service organizations
- develop a workshop to teach children where their food comes from
- work with local organizations working toward a sustainable local food system
- earn volunteer hours toward graduation
To apply and learn more about this exciting opportunity, head to the Intergenerational Landed Learning website for all the details. Application is due this coming Monday, June 3, 2012 We’ll see you in the sunshine this summer!